Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Coke Pill Box

Today I am simply overwhelmed.  I have met new people over and over and over again.  So much that I am re-meeting the same people and it takes both of us a minute to realize it.  I'm in my first week of graduate school.  I live in Boston, and I'm a student again.  What am I getting myself into ...

We've spent most of our time so far on 'introductory' activities.  One idea that keeps resurfacing that I have fallen in love with is that "everything you learn overlaps."  For example we discussed the issue that it is so incredibly difficult to distribute health care and contraceptives in developing countries, but they all always have Coke.  Why does health care and distributing proper health supplies need to be in a separate industry as Coke?  Coke has already figured out how to get this product to this location, and health care should be capitalizing on that knowledge.  I remember discussing this with my uncle before I applied to graduate school.  He introduced the case to me, and said that someone developed a pill box that fit between bottles of coke.  So when the coke was distributed, it brought along health care.  I want to be discovering that.

I thought 100% that I wanted to work in a hospital when I graduated, and now I'm not quite so sure.  I don't want to get caught up in the hussle and bussle of what is popular or most sought after.  In my undergrad I was convinced that I was ment to be an auditor.  They made the most money, were the toughest jobs to get and majors to master.  I got confused between something that I was good at and something I wanted to spend my time doing.  Something I was passionate about to make a difference in.  As it turns out, I spent a summer doing audit work, and half way through I called my adviser and dropped every class I was in.  There were ten grown adults sitting in a room sending instant messages to each other instead of talking.  The people I was working with were so averse to actual communication that they would rather type and stare at a screen instead of make eye contact.  I was not ment to be an auditor ... I also learned, that just because my accounting grades were good ... Doesn't mean I should be in accounting.  So now I am here trying to sort out something that I enjoy so much that I will create a pill box that fits in between coke bottles.


175 Miles Down 140 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment