Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Risky Carrot

Week one of funemployment is wonderful.  I've read two books (in three days), with some of my newly discovered free time.  An idea that was discussed in one of them kept popping into my mind during my four mile run today.  Take risks.  We rarely do it.  It's so much easier to take the path of least resistance or the choice that is the simplest.  Life is hard enough, why would we do something that would make it potentially more difficult?  Since I've been running outside, I have EACH TIME run the same route.  I have run roughly 25 times on the same path.  I know exactly when the mile markers are, I know how tough it will be, and when I will get tierd.  There is literally no surprise.  I am achieving my goal in the least risky way possible.  

So today ... I took a risk.  I ate a carrot WITHOUT peeling it.  I'm a wild one, and you know what this is just the beginning.  I noticed today that I've always considered myself a risky person.  I've gone skydiving, ziplining twice, quit two jobs, backpacked, climbed a waterfall, lived in another country ... I feel like I've done things that other people hear about and respond "Gasp! You did what?!?!"  But the truth is ... I'm really good at taking calculated risks only.  I knew when I went skydiving, that Enzo (the stranger I was tied onto) had jumped over 10,000 times before he went with me.  I knew we were going to freefall 30 seconds, and float down three minutes and land on the ground.  There was no surprise.  Despite the fact that his advice to me was "Don't pass out, it's an expensive trip to the ground to miss," I don't believe I've done anything risky, and I'd like to try to change that ...



127 Miles Down 123 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment