Monday, June 17, 2013

Complex Labyrinth of Rules

I thought running outside was intense when I started doing it.  Running outside, in June, in Chicago, on the Lake, is intense.  I almost stopped after one mile, but I passed a woman running with a dog in a stroller.  A dog in a stroller.  If she can run, I can run.  I kept thinking about something my brother said over the weekend.  I've been trying to become vegan.  I've been making a point to be vegetarian.  This weekend for fathers day we were going to have a cookout.  Meals at my dads house generally include one very large portion of meat, and possibly chips on the side.  Last time I was there, we made burgers, hot dogs, beer brats, and no sides.  Not super vegan friendly ... So this weekend I asked him to get me a veggie burger:

Me: "Dad, can you pick up some veggie burgers for this weekend?"
Dad: "Oh right! I forgot you're doing that vegetarian thing. I'll get salmon."
Me: "Dad, salmon is fish.  It's not vegetarian."
Dad: "Ok fine.  I'll get a veggie burger.  Or how about something fancier, I'll get you crab cakes."

It is so hard to just up and change!  We ended up going to a restaurant, and I ordered something that had shrimp in it.  My brother proceeded to say "I'm vegetarian, I eat fish, I am vegan, I had a hotdog."  I didn't realize I was so wishy washy.  I think I'm using all these rules to try to shape what I want, to be in this case healthier, when I could just focus on eating fruit.  Occasionally cheating is ok, but time to stop downing bags of cheetos and giant bowls of pasta.  Instead of designing a complex labyrinth of rules that are designed to shape my life into the thing I want it to be, I'm going to change my perspective.  I'm going to decide what I want, and instead of focusing on what to cut out I'm going to focus on what to include more of.



123 Miles Down 127 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment