Sunday, June 2, 2013

Stop Living Through The Face of Your Phone

Ugh, I'm sick again.  I think I have no immune system.  I believe I'm also turning into sort of a baby ... I was invited out Friday and Saturday by the guy who I've seen a few times (who also got me sick ...) and had to turn him down.  Which sucks, but I slept most of the weekend, except for when I was running this morning.  It was my first organized run since I started tracking miles, the Color Run 5K!

It was absolute chaos, and there were no hard core runners but it was so much fun.  I ran it with my best friend who I met in high school, and she pointed out almost immediately, "I don't think it can be considered a hard core run when there are port-a-potties lined up on the race path."  Her and I had run together the Hot Chocolate 5K last year, and I was so happy because I know she hates running.  We ran practically the whole thing, she only slowed down once or twice towards the end.  In order to motivate her I kept reminded her of the pregnant lady who ran the Chicago Marathon and gave birth right after she passed the finish line.  My friend said it both motivated her and made her want to punch me.  I know she said that out of love. :)

While we were running, she said, "I'm really glad we did this because we've been able to actually talk." She works nights and weekends, and I work days ... So unfortunately much of our friendship is texting and trying to squeeze in dinner / breakfast when we can.  Luckily, texting and running is almost impossible so we had a full 30 minutes to catch up.  I have always despised texting, and people that think facebook communication is real.  Whenever I get a text that says "Hey Whats up?" I think uuuggggghhhhhhh, and usually reply "Let's get a drink and catch up."  I want to spend less time living through the face of my iphone.  Texting (insigntful things like "haha" or "ok")/taking pictures (that you will never frame)/videos and actually be with the humans in the room because I like my friends and I'm going to miss them.


The run we ran today was the "Color Run 5K" to benefit Special Olympics (an organization my little sister jack-of-all-trades has been volunteering at since she was in sixth grade).  This is probably the most unorganized organized run I've ever done, but it was so much fun.  There was one point where a girl dove in front of me (literally dove and almost tripped me) to get some extra orange color.  I'm going to try to bring my sister next time.  :)



110 Miles Down 140 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment