Thursday, November 28, 2013

Holiday Morning Runs

Well today's run was a strange one.  There's nothing like going back to the suburbs to realize that you didn't grow up follow the suburban triangle and end up living in the suburbs.  We have a 5K that is around the town I grew up in, and I ran it with my best friend from high school and her family.  (My sister was working, and I couldn't convince anyone else in my family that an 8:00 am run the day of Thanksgiving was better than sleeping in.)

My race today was sandwiched with awkward situations.  So I got to the race, went to pick up my race shirt, and my exboyfriend from high school's mom is handing them out.  I thought she might not notice me, so I spelled my name really quickly ... She looked up from her computer slowly and said "Oh I know you!" Excellent.  "Are you running this morning with anyone or did you come alone?"  Who asks that ... I just took my small bib and went back to the group I was with.  I forgot how different the suburbs were, I've been spoiled living downtown big cities for the past six year.

After the race, as I'm running to my car with a handful of baby cinnamon rolls, a coffee, and frozen water bottle, I run into the marine's sister.  (It's funny how people run a 5K, then they grab so many snacks at the end it's like they've never eaten before.  We burned maybe 300 calories, which is one bagel.  Anyways there I was with my handful of baby cinnamon rolls...)  I was so excited to see her I didn't see his whole family arrive behind her.  His mom hugged me, "How's Boston?!?!" "Have you been to DC to visit my son?!?!"  Eeeekkkk..... I guess he didn't tell her.

Sometimes it's a bit of a bummer to be single on the holidays, but the pluses are pretty sweet too.  I bought myself some great Christmas presents.  I think maybe I'll go on a trip somewhere ... Do something crazy.



232 Miles Down 83 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment