Sunday, November 10, 2013

Why Nothing Gets Done

I got my grades back.  Handled that like an adult.  My friend and I got the email.  Closed our computers.  Left the business school.  Immediately ordered two stiff dirty martini's.  It seems like our grades were determined somewhat arbitrarily.  I keep trying to remember, that they don't matter.  And failing in graduate school means getting a B-.  I came here to get health care background and to learn more about hospitals in the area.  As long as I don't fail out, or lose my scholarship I think I am ok.  I'm not use to getting any B's, so I hate it.  Next module, I will just decide to prepare for every exam, and put the social and career exploration second.  Hopefully eventually I'll have more time for those things.

I also made a huge decision, I applied to get a Masters in Public Health.  I'm not really sure why, I made an impulse decision.  I can get my MBA and my MPH in two years for the same price.  I'm not 100% sure I'll need it with my career goals, but I would really like to be in a less competitive and more organized environment.

However, I feel like I've finally discovered the reason I went to grad school: My Ops Professor.  She's amazing.  She use to be a nurse practitioner in a hospital.  She got frustrated that she couldn't make process improvements to the way things were done, so she went back to school.  She focused on operations management and when she graduated she went into hospital consulting.  Her professor said to her one day, "You're so smart.  Why do you want to go into operations?  All the smart people go into strategy."  She laughed and said, "That's why nothing ever gets done."  I love her.  I went to meet with her, and after 45 minutes of talking with her, she just bluntly said, "What is your dream job, and how can I help you get it?"  She does hospital consulting for the hospitals in the area FOR FREE.  She feels bad charging them for identifying changes she thinks are so obvious.  She's putting me in touch with people in Boston, and I'm meeting them for coffee.

So now ... I need to really think about what I want to do next year.



224 Miles Down 91 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment