Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Is Your Life Fun?

Sister Run!  Today I ran with my little sister (my best friend who didn't get to pick).  Before I talk about that, I want to talk about something that's been on my mind.  Last week when I met my college ex for dinner, he was going on and on about work and school and projects and such.  No mention of friends, bars, weekend plans ... and I realized he works all the time.  He was talking so much about work, that I interrupted him and said "Do you think your life is fun? Are you happy?" I admit it was a little blunt, but he looked at me like I had three eyes.  Why do people (myself included...) spend so much time on things that don't really make us happy.  It's crazy how caught up in life and priorities shift from fun and enjoying life to work and money.  I hope my life is never not fun.  I've recently learned ... that if I don't like things ... I can just change them.  Sounds so simple, but it's so easy to get distracted.

Mental Health Monday was one of the best ideas I've ever had.  I did everything that I wanted to do.  I slept in, read a book, went to lunch and dinner with a friend, I napped.  I love waking up and doing whatever I want and getting paid for it.

So my sister asked me to run with her, and I was so excited.  I've been trying to get her to run with me forever.  We only lasted one mile, and we ran a nine minute pace, and I'm pretty sure she'll never go with me again because I talked literally the entire time, but it was awesome.  Since my parents got divorced we haven't lived in the same house, but we still hang out every chance we get.  I'm currently in the process of convincing her to go to college at Indiana University (my school), so I can visit her there all the time.  She took a personality test that matched her to a university, and she had a 100% match to IU.  I almost drove off the road when I shot my hands into the air out of excitement when she told me.



So after one mile, my sister was dead tired  and I realized I can't run and talk so I was also dead tired.  And I decided that I will control my happiness from now on.  I'm going to spend more time doing the things I enjoy, like running and seeing my family.  I'm not going to do anything drastic, I'm just going to eat a piece of fruit instead of a bag of chips and I'm going to run outside at night instead of sit on my computer for a couple more hours.  (Despite what I am obviously doing right now ...)  I'm going to consciously make my life into what I want it to be.



88 Miles Down 192 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment