Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Consulting is Coconuts


I have a problem.  I am competitive.  Not outwardly, but I want other people to see me and go “wow … she’s so smart.”  Before I decided I wanted to go back to school I was constantly back and forth because I graduated with a business degree, and started my career in consulting at the #1 place to launch your career.  So why would I spend 100,000+ give up two years of my life and get another degree?  I finally skiied into a tree and was thrown into one of the messiest industries in the United States: health care.  After spending those two weeks in the hospital and dealing with two and a half years of physical therapy and five surgeries, I found a place where my hard work would literally be improving peoples lives.  So here I am in school to learn health care, and this week I found myself at a consulting club meeting.  There’s something about the fact that so many people want to do it, and I already have that makes me want to say “Hey!! I did that!!!” or “Hey!! That company will hire me!!”  I have no idea why … I don’t want to do that job!  I get swept up in everyone else getting excited about it and think that what they want could be what I want, even though I know it’s not.  It’s funny that when a company with a big name in the consulting industry comes on campus, suits come out and business cards, and everyone hovers around them in the hallways “networking.”  Don’t be a sheep if you’re not a sheep!!
It’s sort of like when your friend opens an almond joy and starts eating it.  I’m not hungry … but I want it.  Then I take a bite and realize I don’t like coconut.  I’m glad I at least can recognize now that Consulting is coconuts.  So I’m joining some health care clubs, and I’m making a plan to find some people in the industry to job shadow and informational interview.  (I’d like to stop saying things like networking and informational interview as soon as possible … But I think until I have an internship set up, I have to keep talking like the punch line of a show like “The Office.”)




191 Miles Down 124 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment