Tuesday, December 3, 2013

MPH in the Long Run

I've been accepted into the Masters in Public Health program.  I can't decide if it's good or bad.  I think I'm applying to diversify myself further than an MBA in health care already would.  I'm not sure that's even necessary?  I don't know what to think.  I talked to my favorite Operations teacher, and she gave me some pretty good advice.  She said if I want the career I've been talking to her about, then it probably won't be necessary.  However, if I want to diversify myself and one day move into health policy, then this would be a good choice.  I think I'm trying to get out of the Business School ... and not necessarily focusing on what I want to do next with my career.  I also found out ... my scholarship may be at risk.  Some other students who chose dual degrees ended up losing their whole scholarship or part of it.  It started to seem like a more expensive option that wouldn't necessarily add much more to what I'm already doing.  So I'm turning down the offer.

As soon as I decided that I would turn down the offer, the admissions office started calling me and emailing me.  It's like they knew!  They wanted to set up my first classes, and I was still super unsure.  I think this is the first time I've started turning things down.  I feel like I always get pulled between one thing and the next in life (dating, jobs, social plans...), and I usually take the next offer that is good.  Not this time!  I'm setting my sights on the long run with big decisions.


239 Miles Down 76 Miles to Go

No comments:

Post a Comment