Thursday, January 9, 2014

Back on the Table

I had a social jog today, and it's refreshing to run with someone.  I can finally hold a conversation while I run.  I don't think I've ever been able to do this.  When I was running in Europe with my professional runner friend, she mentioned people ask her how she always stays in shape.  She said, "Not going to the gym just isn't an option.  No matter what you think your excuse is, you can handle a workout."  She does nine days on and one day off.  It's freezing out, literally, and my friend and I have decided to go for a run next to the Charles River.

Around mile three ... I got a phone call.  Consulting company.  "Hey! You missed the application deadline for our summer internship.  Are you interested, and do you want to talk about it?  I can put your resume in still."  It's following me.  No matter what I do, I am constantly finding myself back in the face of consulting.  So here I was on the side of the river, in freezing temperatures, mid run, having an interview.  The whole point of graduate school was to get out of consulting, what was I thinking.  For some reason, I'm lured into the idea of a great salary, signing bonus, flexibility to live and move wherever I want to go, and the ability to move from health care client to health care client.  I'm also starting to realize, I have over $100,000 in debt.  I hate hate hate debt.  I can knock out a rather large chunk of that if I take my savings, my signing bonus, and start with a high salary.  This is what I'm thinking about as I'm talking with the consulting alumni about work life balance and the different types of health care projects he's been on in the past.  I'm actually starting to think it may not be so coconuts for me.  It's a great career, and I can do it.  I haven't been sought after like this in a while, and I want to be at a company that wants me there.  Also ... It would give me the experience I need in health care.

Consulting:  back on the table.



272 Miles Down 43 Miles to Go

No comments:

Post a Comment