Sunday, January 19, 2014

Waiting ...

Today I am waiting ... and waiting ... and I really hate waiting.  I went on a trip with some friends up to Maine (checking it off the bucket list of amazing places to visit).  I've had this good friend since college ... about nine years now ... and we've always been really close.  We almost dated senior year, but as soon as we got close I got a job in Chicago and he got one in Minneapolis.  So I shyed away from it, he was one of my best friends and I saw it ending messy.  Nothing more than that really ever happened, we stayed really close and vacationed together (with groups) a few times (India, Munich, Amsterdam, Back to IU ... ).  He's always been one of those guys who I knew I would date eventually when the time was right, but we just haven't been in a position to since college.

Lately, I'd been thinking about the fact that we can sit and talk for hours and it seems like minutes.  And the fact that I really want that.  And just as we started talking a lot more again, he tells me he has a girlfriend.  Naturally!  I said that I was happy for him, and started dodging his calls.  It's not something I want to get tangled in.  Then he sends me an uncharacteristic message "Can I come visit you for a night?  I had a rough day and need a friend."  Of course I said yes, and then he went radio silent.  Three days after he said he wanted to visit, we connected over the phone.  His girlfriend broke up with him.  In Korea, where he went to meet her parents.  Because her parents didn't approve of him not being Korean.  And here he was trying to prove to her parents that he'd be good for their daughter.  He was writing them a letter.  He kept saying on the phone to me, "I'm not sure I can forget how she wanted to marry me one minute, and then just walked away the next."  So she broke up with him, and then they spent 24 hours flying back to the US on the plane together.  Where he planned on getting off in Chicago ...

He ended up not, and going back to Pennsylvania with her, but not as her boyfriend.  A week later she told her parents she wanted to date him, and he was asking me if he should give her another chance.  I didn't know what to tell him, so I told him that I couldn't answer that question.  I can't tell him who he wants to be with.  So when he said that I'd been a good friend and told me he wanted to come visit me in Boston.  I said maybe.  I told him not to read too into this ... but it's a little weird when guys visit me and they have a girlfriend.  He was offended a little I think, but I don't want to be confusing.  So now I'm waiting ... which I hate ... When did dating become waiting to see who wants to visit me in Boston?



286 Miles Down 29 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment