Friday, January 10, 2014

Hippopotamus

Today I had my second hospital internship interview.  I really want to be in one this summer, and I was thinking this as I walked into the last one.  As I was strolling up the sidewalk in my suit with my fancy Kate Spade purse, the man walking out of the building had literally just peed himself.  What am I getting myself into?  I had a great conversation with both BU alumni that I spoke with in my interviews.  One had exactly the same background as me, and wrote me a very very nice email telling me he though I should seriously consider the hospital for the next step in my career.  The second one told me if I didn't have an internship by March to call him and he would look for something for me there.  Definitely a step in the right direction ... especially because there are only a handful of internships at hospitals in Boston, all of which are super competitive...

I've also spent some time thinking about the Florida ex.  Last time I talked to him, he wanted to come up to Boston to visit.  He was asking about MLK weekend, which is next weekend.  When I mentioned it to him he said, "I can't that weekend, but I definitely want to talk about coming up."  It was his suggestion to come that weekend ... and I guess something must have come up?  When I thought about all the chemistry and things we had in common ... I forgot about all the arguing and things we didn't have in common.  We fought so much over everything that we had a safe word for fighting.  (Not the fun kind of safe word that most couples have.)  If we got too intensely arguing, I would say "Hippopotamus" and we would stop and take ten minutes away from each other to calm down.  He went from "I want to come visit you" to one word reply answers.  Maybe I gave him too much credit when I thought we still could work ...



275 Miles Down 40 Miles to Go

No comments:

Post a Comment