Thursday, February 28, 2013

21 Day's to Form a New Habit

Chicago has thrown another temper tantrum.  This time six inches of snow ... timing it for the afternoon commute.  It's been about a week since the last time I ran, and my body is also throwing a temper tantrum.  I'm antsy, I can't sit still, I can't sleep.  All I can think about is getting all this excess energy outtttt of me.  I remember people saying this, "Ugh I haven't been to the gym and I'm itching to run." ... And thinking they were showing off because they were going to the gym, but turns out it actually happens.  I read that it takes 21 days to form a habit.  I started on Feb 4th, and today is Feb 28th.  I've finally developed a habit!

I'm starting to get into how much I'm running and how fast.  I started using Nike Plus (shameless plug) to track them, and it's amazing.  There's something about sharing what you're doing with other people that motivates you to get off your but and run.  Just do it.  The only way to do it is to do it.  I tell people that at work all the time.  They always say things like "Oh you're so hard on me..." "Wow you're intense..." But It doesn't make any sense to me ... It's like people who complain about failing school while they are out partying.  I'm wondering "Why are you surprised ... Open a book."   Once you stand up and decide, "I'm going to do this."  And then do it, you won't regret it.  I've never got off the treadmill thinking, wow I'm so upset that I finished that last mile.  I feel like I was stuck in old habits before I started focusing on what I was doing ... I would just think my life is not going where I want it to go.  But I kept doing the same things.  I stayed in the job I wasn't crazy about.  I stayed with the wrong person way way too long.  I live on my own and commute so I end up worrying about money all the time.  I was unhappy with the weight I gained, but I would eat an entire bag of Cheetos in one sitting.  So now it's time to form some more new habits ... I'm moving to Boston.  I'm leaving my job to go back to school.  I've blocked my ex (which I still feel childish about ... but it is nice to know that we're done.).  Looking at the rest of the things in my life as things I need to just do, and then do it.



16 Miles Down 234 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment