Saturday, February 23, 2013

Quality Time and Night Clubs

First three mile run complete!  I did a straight ten minute mile for the first two, and I started noticing that ... My legs were moving really fast.  I tried to focus on slowing down and taking longer strides, adapting my running to the treadmill.  So uncomfortable.  For the last mile, I hiked up the speed and set off on my first nine minute mile.  I couldn't breathe.  Holy cow.  The only way to run is not to think about running ... You have to refocus on something else.  As I was running my third mile on a Saturday morning, I was thinking about night clubs.  You know N Tis N Tis N Tis Random sneaky guy behind you type places.  If I had been at one last night, I would not be here barely breathing busting my butt.  I can not remember the last time I went to one... It's been so long.  I remember spending nights dancing aimlessly in front of the speakers until I could barely hear anything.  Now when I have more than three beers, it takes me a full day to recover.  I feel like I've become one with my blankets and can't separate them from me for at least a full twelve hours and one large chipotle burrito later.  What happened?

Last week I went to a dinner with some friends and we were talking about the Five Love Languages: Acts of Service, Quality Time, Gifts, Words of Affirmation, and Physical Touch.  One of my good friends is getting married and reading through this book is part of the pre-wedding prep work.  I was pretty apprehensive to dive into this.  It seemed like some overly fluffy way to group people into categories, have a little church chat, and then move on and forget about it.  Eventually I caved and googled the book only to realize it was sitting on my shelf.  As I started reading it, I realized I was right, it was overly flowery and butterflies everywhere.  At the same time, it was spot on.  My friends and I had talked about this before when I was in El Salvador and I've only recently taken the quiz to determine which I am.  You can score 1-13.  I scored:

Physical Touch - 13
Quality Time - 12
Gifts - 2
Words of Affirmation - 1
Acts of Service - 1

Clear winner.  Also clear answer to what happened.  I'd much rather have dinner and sit in a pub with a group of friends than kill my feet dancing the night away with which ever random guy see's me.  Of my best friends, many of them live out of Chicago and we have weekly or so phone dates to catch up on life.  I use to go wherever everyone was going and do whatever the group was up for.  Now I've found myself peeling away from the masses a little and getting to know my friends so much better.

I can barely breathe and my first nine mile run and three miles in a row are done!  Success!



14 Miles Down 236 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment