Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mile 1

On day one, I am already doubting my decision.  On my way to the gym at 5:00 AM, the first snowstorm happens in over a year.  I'm exhausted, It's early, and I'm driving in a snowstorm.  It took me an hour and a half to get to the gym.  As soon as I got to the gym I was so happy I made it.  I stepped on the treadmill in my new yoga pants, and started to run.  Eventually I started to feel exhausted, I felt like I had been running for hours.  When I looked down at the time, it had almost been three minutes.  I would have to repeat what I had just done roughly 833 more times.  WHAT DID I SIGN UP FOR?

I've never been a runner.  I've always enjoyed sports like dance or yoga.  In particular yoga where you get to lay on the floor half the work out.  I'm not lazy, but I'm not conditioned for endurance.  I think this is how I've been living my life.  Small changes, in spurts.  I've been making tiny choices to make myself happy, like I think I'll have sushi for dinner or I'll go on a weekend trip to some place I've never been.  It always works momentarily.  Over the past four and a half years, I have done more traveling than the 20 years before that.  I had a traveling job, and took full advantage.  I went Skydiving in Hawaii, to Vegas twice (and left up both times), I went ziplining in el salvador after building a cement road, climbed up a waterfall in Jamaica, went to Octoberfest, taught English to schoolchildren in India, had a Guiness at the Guiness factory in Dublin, and have seen numerous states in the US.  As much fun as I was having, I think I've just been putting bandaids on the bigger issues that I didn't know how to or have the guts to change.  So ... What do I need to fix?




1 Mile Down, 249 To Go


No comments:

Post a Comment