Sunday, March 10, 2013

Climb The Wall

Today is the first run I really feel like I'm getting stronger.  I mentally prepared myself to do three miles and just forced myself not to look at the time.  The first time I looked down, I was half way done.  Breathing was no obstacle, and sweat was pouring down my face.  This has never happened to me before.  As soon as I snuck my first peek at the clock, I became tired.  How does that happen?  When I run I always set small goals for myself.  "Come on, you only have five minutes left, you can do anything for five minutes."  "If the people on Biggest Loser can do what they do, I can move for 20 min."  "If that lady could run a marathon pregnant and have a baby at the finish line, I can run three miles."  I'm always thinking, make it until that corner and I'll stop or make it through the next two minutes and I'll stop.

Every single time I run, I hit a wall.  Everrrryyyyy time.  I remember talking to one of my friends about this when he first started running.  He said he couldn't get more than a mile in.  If that's the case, then it's happening because when you hit the wall, you stop.  Quit stopping.  Once you make it over the wall you can run forever.

When I break down the giant wall in my way and give myself mini goals, it's unbelievably easier to get through it.  In the beginning my goal was done die, then it was breathe when you run, then don't fall off the treadmill, now it's get past the wall.  Everyone I know who has gone back to school has said to spend as much time as you can with the people you will miss.  Make sure they understand you are not going to have the same amount of free time.  I've also started a Chicago bucket list as mini goals.

1. Go to a Blackhawks game
2. Eat at big star
3. Spend a week on the beach
4. Eat at a vegan restaurant
5. Go to Alinea
6. Go to a fancy dinner date with my roommate from college
7. Go on the gangster tour
8. Go on the chocolate tour

I feel like I start out strong, and then something small happens like a facebook message or a snow storm and I get side tracked and stop.  So I'm filling the next few months with mini goals so that when I hit the wall I remember that I've already decided to climb it and finish what I am starting.



24 Miles Down 226 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment