Thursday, March 21, 2013

Recovery Runs

I think what I did today would classify as a "recovery run".  The running definition is a short slow run that you do within 24 hours of a long tough run.  I know four miles doesn't exactly constitute a long tough run, but today I was tired.  According to the research I've done, recovery runs don't actually enhance the recovery process for your body.  But they are so commonly practiced there must be some benefit.  According to my googling skills, the benefit comes because you are tired.  When you begin to feel fatigue and you push yourself, this is when you start building your endurance.  Recovery runs build your endurance the whole time, because you are exhausted the whole time, and I was.  

I feel like I've had such a whirlwind of changes going on the past few months: Grad School, My Job, I'm moving apartments, I'm leaving home, I'm going to Africa, I'm dating, I'm running ... I'm exhausted.  I'm starting to get a little nervous to leave home for the first time.  I'm 27 ... The farthest I've gone for an extended period of time is Indiana, that's pathetic.  Although I'm ecstatic to be going back to get my MBA, I'm moving across the country.  It'll be the first time I can't just come home whenever I want.  I hate being nervous about something ... I feel like I can't sit still, but I'm so tired I just want to relax.  I need to treat this time like a recovery run.  I feel like with the more little changes I'm actively choosing to make in my life, the easier it will be for me to be happier down the road.  I can already feel myself getting happier.  Although I don't want to many any more changes and I'm exhausted from the big ones, I think this is when I really have the chance to make myself happy.




36 Miles Down 214 Miles To Go



1 comment:

  1. Your writing is so well done. I feel like I'm reading a book or something! You're like the Carry Bradshaw of the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete