Friday, March 29, 2013

Short Term and Long Term

... I can run!!  According to my surgeon, my foot basically didn't grow all the way (sort of like me ... I'm 5'1").  So it's most likely always going to hurt, but it's safe to run through the pain.  He gave me some serious anti-inflammatory medicine, and he sent me to get a "running analysis."  I think this is like a psychologist for running form.  So I put on my new Nike shoes and went for my first outdoor run.

Immediately I noticed ... outdoor runners are not treadmill runners.  They mean business, and they make it look easy.  For some reason when I run outside, it takes most of my focus and energy to look up and not stare at the ground in fear of tripping and faceplanting.  As I tried to look up at the skyline instead of down at the ground, I was getting lapped like crazy.  It took me a while to be able to focus on the Chicago skyline.  I think that's what I've been doing lately.  I'm getting so concerned with the next little steps that I haven't been able to see the bigger picture.  As soon as I was able to look forward, I got this side splitting cramp.  What is going on? Why does this happen?  I tried to just ignore it and eventually it went away, but holy crap it was miserable.  When I got back I risked receiving the news that I was dying (I looked it up on webmd).  Turns out I'm breathing to shallow, and not enough air is getting to my muscles.  I can't focus on the short and long term at the same time.  I guess I'll have to try to find some sort of balance / middle ground.

In this year of running, I have already made choices that will literally change my life.  When I approached the end of my run, I clicked my phone to check mileage and make sure I had reached a full three miles, and it returned a pace of a 9 minute mile.  I have never run three nine minute miles in a row before.



48 Miles Down 202 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment