Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Surgeons and Half Marathons

So ... I shouldn't be running.  I'm pretty sure my foot is still injured, and after how big of a baby I was last weekend ... I need to be off it.  There is this part to my personality that won't let me back off when someone tells me something is not possible.  It's a blessing and a curse.  Curse when my brother tells me something like "I bet you can't eat that whole three egg omelette."  Blessing when my boss says "That kind of idea isn't possible."  Every time someone says "You can't do that." I think "Challenge accepted."  And then I do it.  I think the first time I can remember someone telling me I can't do something is junior year of high school.  I came back with a schedule senior year that was packed full.  Calculus, Statistics, Physics ... blah blah.  I was taking 4 AP classes.  My mom looked at it and said, that's too much for you you won't be able to handle it.  Now ... My mom and I already didn't have the best relationship, but this made me angry.  That year, I was on the varsity dance team, president of NHS, accepted into four colleges, and got a 4.2 on a 4.0 scale.  The same schedule she told me I couldn't handle.

Now I'm facing the same dilemma.  After this ...





And this ...




The doctors told me running, among other things, would not be the same again.  I had been training for a half marathon when I fell, and they told me my legs were very strong, which may have helped my knee.  (I'm not sure how ... I broke two bones, one into the joint, and lost my ACL and LCL completely.)  I also broke my right leg off, and my left hip.  I like to tell people I was on a black diamond saving a baby with a grizzly bear chasing me.  I was catapulted into the air, but the baby was unharmed.  Not the case.  I was however super super lucky that I didn't hit any higher, if the impact was a couple inches up, I could have broken my spine.  Anyways ... When I started physical therapy I told my physical therapist I was going to run that half marathon race I was training for.  And after spending two and a half years seeing him three times a week ... still not running.  So, this year of running is a big "HA!!" to all the surgeons.

I'm going to the doctor to check out my foot soon ... I hope I can still run ...

45 Miles Down 205 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment