Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Secret Society of Runners

6:00 AM Run, the week of spring forward.  I deserve something special.  I will settle for bragging rights.


It is amazing how much your attitude can change from a good kick in the butt of endorphin's.  Yesterday I was exceptionally crabby.  I'm not really sure why but I was just having one of those "I hate everything" days.  One of those days where you hear yourself say something and you're immediately like "That was a horrible thing to say."  But you just can't stop it ... It's like word vomit.  So I forced myself up today to get a good long run in and get my attitude back to being closer to that of a normal person.

Last weekend I spent a lot of time doing family maintenance.  I'm not going to see them when I move in the next two years and my family can be a rather needy unit (I'm not saying that I'm not ... we all are), and seeing my friends who live outside the city.  I ran across someone while I was out who is also a runner.  He had the Nike Run App on his phone!  We started talking, and it's almost like there is some sort of "secret society" of serious runners.  Similar to smokers, but we're not taking minutes off our life and we smell like sweat instead of smoke.  We spent at least an hour talking about running, shoes, workouts, food, and everything in between.  When other people would come by and hear us talking about inclines, and how to lift and improve running they would all take an immediate detour.  I love it, all these new things are important to me now.  Eating healthy, getting myself in shape, recognizing when I'm being crabby and forcing myself to do something to change it, and there is a whole secret society of runners that do the same thing!  I think I'm going to sign up to run a race; I want to meet more people in this society.

26 Miles Down 224 Miles To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment